Journalism / Yearbook / Broadcast Journalism
50 – 60 minutes
Middle + High School Students
- Practice skills in critical thinking and critical analysis to think about how journalism can raise awareness about social injustices.
- Utilize school news sources to educate students about the issue of human trafficking.
- Utilize school news sources to mobilize students to take action in fighting human trafficking.
- To continue exploring the social injustice of sex trafficking.
- To explore how the media has created awareness about the issue of human trafficking.
- To demonstrate the power of journalism to tell a story, raise awareness, and inspire social
- To inspire students to be active participants in community change.
Common Core Criteria
Anchor Standards for Writing
2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
4. Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
Anchor Standards for Speaking and Listening
4. Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.